King Edward II moves into Churchward House
HPH Ltd have acquired a 5 inch gauge model of a King Edward II steam locomotive for permanent display at Churchward House, Swindon, home to Outsource IT Recruitment and Isys Group. The exhibition standard working steam model was built by E. J Bennett in 1995 from the original works drawings, scaled down.
The original locomotive No. 6023 was built in Swindon and entered service in 1930. The King class locomotives were built under the direction of C.B Collett but were a design evolved from G. J Churchward’s Star class. The original King Edward II covered 1,554,201 miles before it was scrapped in 1962. The locomotive was saved from being cut up and has been restored by the King Edward II Project www.6023.co.uk and is now steaming again.
The team at HPH Ltd felt that Churchward House needed a suitable reminder of the property’s past as the chief engineer’s office of the Swindon works. King Edward II seemed the perfect choice owing to its visual appeal and design history and is located in the main atrium, creating an impressive sight greeting visitors to the building.