As the UK has moved from containment to the delay phase of the epidemic we are writing to all tenants and occupiers to clarify our response, policy and actions.
COVID-19 Coronavirus – HPH update 12th March 2020
1. We are using only official sources of information and advice and provide links below to those sources.
2. We are monitoring developments both on the spread of the epidemic and changing advice that accompanies it.
3. Public Health England (PHE) resources are available here
NHS guidance is available here
Current guidance is summarized as follows:
• Wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds (in commercial environments hands should be dried either with disposable paper towels or electric hand drier)
• Always wash your hands when you get home or into work
• Use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
• Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
• Put used tissues in the bin straight away and wash your hands afterwards
• Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
• Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
How coronavirus is spread
Because it is a new illness, it is not known exactly how coronavirus spreads from person to person.
Similar viruses are spread in cough droplets.
It's very unlikely it can be spread through things like packages or food.
Symptoms of coronavirus
The symptoms of coronavirus are:
• A cough
• A high temperature
• Shortness of breath
But these symptoms do not necessarily mean you have the illness.
The symptoms are similar to other illnesses that are much more common, such as cold and flu.
4. HPH continue to work with our various contractors, including cleaning companies to ensure the common areas of our properties are regularly cleaned.
5. In general, responsibility for preventative measures lies with the building occupiers and employers and we would expect all organisations to follow PHE/NHS advice as a minimum. UK Government COVID-19 guidance for employers and businesses is available here
6. There is a significant amount of misunderstanding and misinformation circulating and therefore we intend to respond to official guidance supplemented by our own risk assessments. There are some common questions arising from various occupiers and we intend to address these directly on a case by case basis.
7. As a company HPH Ltd aim to adopt the guidance provided both by PHE/NHS both in respect of our employees and contractors and in the management of our properties. We would welcome any support and sharing of information that occupiers of our properties are able to provide.